New Expanded Philadelphia Lead Disclosure Law for Rental Owners
Mayor Kenney signed Philadelphia's new lead hazard disclosure bill into law on March 7, 2017. It becomes effective on April 5, 2017. It expands the current lead paint disclosure and inspection ordinance to include mandates for rental owners regarding disclosure of lead service lines and plumbing components. Bill No. 160687 amends Title 6 Chapter 800 of the Philadelphia Code and requires owners to:
- Disclose known lead service lines
- Inform new residents about their right to inspect for lead service lines and plumbing components at their expense.
- The inspection must be completed within 10 days of entering into the lease agreement.
- Should the inspection reveal a lead service line or plumbing components, the lessee may terminate the lease within two business days and all moneys paid on account must be refunded.
- Provide new residents with a pamphlet from the City about how to reduce the risk of lead exposure from lead service lines.
- Additionally, the bill mandates specific notice language that must be inserted in leases.